Elderly man suffers 35% burns to his body in Banbury fire

He was unconscious when crews rescued him from his flat this morning.

It's believed the man fell asleep whilst smoking a cigarette.

Crews from Banbury and Deddington were called to Miller Road at 2:30, and forced entry to the property.

They gave him first aid and oxygen, before the South Central Ambulance Service took over his care.

The man - who was conscious and alert when he left the incident - is now being treated at Stoke Mandeville hospital for burns.

A fire investigation is ongoing. 

Crew Manager Knibbs said: "The fire service was alerted to this incident by a neighbour whose smoke alarm was sounding, and had awoken him. This highlights the importance of having working smoking alarms in your property" 


More from Oxfordshire News


Stand And Deliver by Adam And The Ants

JACK 2 Hits

Don't Feel Like Crying (Mk Remix) by Sigrid

JACK 3 & Chill

Handbags And Gladrags by Rod Stewart