The world-renowned composer says he'll 'do anything to prove theatres can re-open safely'
The 72-year-old posted on Twitter to say he was 'excited' to be vaccinated for the Oxford Covid 19 trial today.
The University of Oxford and the drug company AstraZeneca are working on the development of the experimental vaccine called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 .
Thousands of people the UK, United States, Brazil and South Africa have volunteered to take part in clinical trials.
Andrew Lloyd Webber said: "I am excited to be part of the Oxford Covid 19 vaccine trial. I'll do anything to get theatres large and small open again and actors and musicians back to work."
He also took to social media yesterday to explain his decision to take part.
I am excited that tomorrow I am going to be vaccinated for the Oxford Covid 19 trial. I’ll do anything to prove that theatres can re-open safely. - ALW— Andrew Lloyd Webber (@OfficialALW) August 12, 2020
Responding to the post, fans wrote messages like 'Bravo', 'Godspeed to you sir' and 'Thank you for your dedication'.
Last month, Oxford University revealed a possible breakthrough in its human trials, which were reported to have shown 'promising' results and discovered the jab could provide "double protection" against the virus.
Professor Andrew Pollard, Chief Investigator of the Oxford Vaccine Trial: "We are extremely grateful to all of the volunteers who are taking part in this important work to establish whether the Oxford coronavirus vaccine can protect against COVID-19.
"A safe, accessible and effective vaccine will be important in helping control the pandemic, but our rigorous testing must continue to ensure proper assessment."
PIC: Andrew Lloyd Wbber being vaccinated by the expert team of nurses and doctors working on evaluation of the vaccine.
Meanwhile, the coronavirus crisis has wreaked havoc in the West End, where theatres have been dark since March.
The most high-profile casualty is Webber's Phantom Of The Opera, which is one of the longest running shows in London and draws audiences from all over the world.
It has permanently closed as a result of the pandemic, alongside the UK touring productions.
Producer Cameron Mackintosh confirmed the news in an article in the Evening Standard, writing: 'Andrew (Lloyd Webber) and I have had to sadly permanently shut down our London and UK touring productions of The Phantom Of The Opera, but are determined to bring it back to London in the future.'
In a statement on Twitter, Lord Lloyd-Webber wrote: 'As far as I’m concerned Phantom will reopen as soon as is possible.'